As part of research for my teen characters, I’ve cruised the internet looking for authentic teen conversations. I’ve also been guilty of listening to teens at the mall or other public places so I can incorporate authenticity into my writing. Let’s face it. The teen lingo now is far from what it was when I was growing up (I don’t think kids say, “don’t get your panties in a wad” anymore).
What follows is a list of 20 thoughts, ideas, tidbits of conversations I’ve gathered. Not only does it serve as great fodder for my novels, but each one offers a unique perspective into the mind of a teen. What follows may surprise you.
- I wish I had a button on my phone that will let me erase messages on other people’s phones that I’ve sent and regret very shortly after.
- We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another.
- The only way to make your own pain go away is to focus on the pain of others and one day you’ll wake up and realize that it doesn’t hurt so much.
- Mom, Dad, I’ll make you proud of me someday. I promise. Just give me some time.
- We all have that one person that whenever we get a message from them, we suddenly get that smile on our face and you can’t do anything to stop it.
- Teenagers are scared too much now. Why? We get judged for everything! We feel we can’t be ourselves because of what other people will think or say.
- Guys! I swear to God, you turn your back and they cheat. When you look at them, they say “I love you”. Don’t they get it? Girls aren’t freaking toys.
- My earphones are what set me free from all the bullshit.
- I am quite certain that given a nice guitar and a recording contract, I could save the world.
- Don’t waste your time on guys who don’t make your tummy tickle. Stick to those who do.
- That moment while you’re secretly texting on your phone and you laugh so loud that the teacher takes your phone away.
- It’s funny how your parents say it’s their house but when it needs cleaning, it magically becomes yours.
- People say the sky is the limit but there are footprints on the moon.
- *low battery* *low battery* *low battery* Well apparently you have a enough battery to remind me about it every 2 seconds!
- Maybe all those fashionable clothes, and accessories are over-rated because you can’t pull them off. You don’t have the swagger. Confidence is the best swag every girl should have.
- My mum thinks “LOL” means “Lots Of Love”. She texted me, “Your grandma had just died. LOL” …….
- “You’ve changed….” ” I didn’t change!? I just started making better decisions”
- I wish cancer got cancer and died…
- Math problems, the only place where someone can buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why….
- Crying over a guy? Nah. Pick up your head, princess. Your tiara is falling.
- Checking In On Our #FollowATeens (buzzfeed.com)
- TEEN sends love from the 60s on ‘Carolina’ (emilystrax.wordpress.com)
- How Your Teens and Twenties Are Different On Facebook (buzzfeed.com)