One of my favorite YA series of all time is The Hunger Games.
I remember reading the series for the first time back to back. For those not familiar with the books, they are: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. I can still feel the numbness, the sensation of my gut being twisted, my heart being wrenched from my chest. I didn’t want the series to end the way it did, but it was the only logical ending. I was too stunned to weep, and yet weeping is something I did during the series. Rue’s sacrifice pretty much did me in.
Suzanne Collins’ writing touched a part of me I didn’t want to visit. She toyed with my emotions and inflamed my motherly instincts. Nothing can get a mom’s hackles up more than kids being used for government folly to keep the masses in line. Children forced into committing murder to stay alive. The story stirs our need for revenge, touches the dark, violent side we all harbor inside, but dare not act on. Katniss Everdeen allows us to safely take that vengeful journey, to make those pay for the crimes against mankind and the most innocent of our world – our children.
Many people found it difficult to read The Hunger Games. Many non-readers like my husband became incensed over the theme of the movie. For him, it was too hard to process. Too much to watch. November 22 will bring all those emotions to the forefront again when Catching Fire hits theaters. He is not sure if he can watch it. I can’t wait.
Who else is ready for the revolution to begin?
*quote from Catching Fire
- ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ Trailer Preview: Katniss and Peeta’s Victory Tour (screenrant.com)
- ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay’ Movie: Filming Dates and Locations Set; Jennifer Lawrence and Crew Head North (latinospost.com)
- The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (elblogdelamancha.com)
- Funtactix Celebrates One Year Anniversary of The Hunger Games Adventures (prweb.com)
- MockingJay by Suzanne Collins Book 3 in Hunger Games Trilogy (bookwishes.wordpress.com)
- Girl on Fire (biancasophiaregala.wordpress.com)
- The Hunger Games (craftyspaces.wordpress.com)