For me, it’s these critters…
Palmetto bugs! Even this picture gives me the eebeejeebies! I guess that makes me entomophobic.
They’re nasty, they’re big. they have hairy legs. They fly, they crunch and spew yellow belly juice when you step on them. They literally terrify me to the point of tears even though I can kill them very easily. I’ve even incorporated that fear into one of my main characters in a story I’m working on, and it’s been a challenge to address and face my own fears through him.
So what are you afraid of? If you’re a writer, do you tap into your own fears when you write your characters and settings? I would love to hear your thoughts.
- On Ate-Phobias (decorartuk.wordpress.com)
- Treating Phobias With Hypnosis: The Rewind Technique (healnowtherapyhypnosis.blogspot.com)
- Nona’s Opinion on Phobias (nonaknowsbest.wordpress.com)
- Researchers Show Fear Can Be Erased in the Brain (bigthink.com)
- Phobias or why I hate Bonfire Night (victoria-writes.com)
- The common phobias afflicting creative types (prdaily.com)
- When the Insect Army invades, it will bring bee-mounted guns and… (updates.io9.com)
- Poll Reveals 60% of Japanese Hate Insects, but What is the Most Despised? (en.rocketnews24.com)
- Roaches to the rescue (economist.com)
- The Fundamentals of Phobias (everydayhealth.com)