It’s here, folks. Samsung’s new Galaxy Gear smartwatch. Once again, fantasy meets reality.
From James Bond to Inspector Gadget, we’ve all dreamed of owning some of these super sleuth’s fantastical technological toys. Now you can, sort of.
It’s being dubbed the “Dick Tracy” watch, and it can do just about anything except make coffee. Let’s take a look at it’s goodies:
- 360 x 360 pixel, 1.63. AMOLED screen
- 10 – 25 hour battery life (too soon to really tell)
- Has basic fitness apps including a pedometer
- makes and receives calls
- has an 800MHz processor, a 315mAh battery, a BSI sensor and autofocus lens mounted in the wrist strap that’s tasked with capturing 1.9-megapixel stills and 10-second video clips at 720p, 640 x 640 or VGA resolution with sound.
- Comes in several colors to please both men and women
With the good, comes the bad. Let’s have a look:
- Only works with other Samsung devices such as the new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone and Note 10.1 tablet.
- It is a little sluggish. whether launching an app or swiping the screen.
- Limited 4GB built-in storage
- S voice feature can only be activated by touching the home screen twice
- $300 price tag.
No doubt about it, the Galaxy Gear is a 1st generation smartwatch and as technology gets smarter, future smartwatches will become smaller, sleeker and capable of so much more. I’m just happy to see Samsung blazing its own innovative trails instead of following in Apple’s footsteps.
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Gear as smartwatch race kicks off (theguardian.com)
- Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Revealed! (technobuffalo.com)